A Guide to the Architecture of Minnesota

A Guide to the Architecture of Minnesota

David Gebhard
Tom Mantinson
Copyright Date: 1977
Edition: NED - New edition
Pages: 492
https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.5749/j.ctttt0zv
  • Cite this Item
  • Book Info
    A Guide to the Architecture of Minnesota
    Book Description:

    Traces Minnesota’s architectural development in eight regions of the state from territorial days to the present and outlines tours of the state’s landmarks. A perfect companion for sight-seeing trips.

    eISBN: 978-0-8166-8155-6
    Subjects: Architecture and Architectural History

Table of Contents

  1. Front Matter
    (pp. i-vi)
  2. Table of Contents
    (pp. vii-viii)
  3. Foreword
    (pp. ix-ix)

    This book was conceived from its inception to supplement and augment the Bicentennial exhibition,The Art and Architecture of Minnesota‚organized and presented by the University Gallery in conjunction with the Minnesota Society of Architects. The exhibition was more than three years in the planning stages, and at every step our desire was to publish something other than an exhibition catalogue — something at once less ephemeral and more comprehensive yet not boring that ubiquitous person, the “interested layman,” with heavily erudite prose. In the end we decided to publishA Guide to the Architecture of Minnesota.Long a priority of...

  4. Acknowledgments
    (pp. x-x)
  5. A Guide to This Guide
    (pp. xi-xiii)
    D.G. and T.M
  6. Index to Geographic Areas
    (pp. xiv-2)
  7. Introduction
    (pp. 3-22)

    A hundred years have now elapsed since the famous and much admired Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition was held, and it goes without saying that in many ways the mood of the country in its bicentennial year is vastly different from what it was in 1876. Yet there are major points of similarity: In 1976 Americans are again taking a backward glance into the past with some nostalgia for what is felt to have been a remote and simpler Golden Age, and again their outlook is conditioned by strong opposing elements. In 1876 the optimism of material progress, laissez-faireism, and big-isbetter was...

  8. Metropolitan
    (pp. 23-136)

    Minneapolis, “City of Lakes,” was first settled in 1848-50, and in 1854 the first of its streets were platted. A town government was established in 1858, and the community became an incorporated city in 1866. In 1872 the communities of St. Anthony and Minneapolis were unified. An important factor in the selection of this site for the city was St. Anthony Falls and the power which it made available for milling operations. With the hinterland of agricultural land lying to the west, Minneapolis quickly overtook St. Paul to become the principal commercial city of the state.

    The character of Minneapolis...

  9. St. Croix Valleyy
    (pp. 137-148)

    Afton, on Lake St. Croix, was first settled in 1837 and was platted in 1855. In its early days it contained several lumber mills which processed logs that were floated down the St. Croix River to

    1 St. Mary’s of Basswood Grove Episcopal Church, 1864

    4¹/₂ miles south of Afton on County Road 21 An early board-and-batten Gothic Revival church.

    2 Octagon House, c. 1860 In town on County Road 21 A two-story frame house sheathed in vertical board-and-batten. There is a small cupola in the center of the roof.

    3 Mackey House, 1855 14026-15th Streets S

    A single-story Greek...

  10. Central
    (pp. 149-180)

    The railroad village of Albany was incorporated in 1890. On its main street is the Adam Winter Building (1913), which was formerly a theatre and a saloon. The second-floor street façade of this building presents a composition of four small Ionic columns with three recessed arches above the columns. The central arch (the largest) is inlaid with a wonderfully inventive pattern of brightly colored pieces of glass. A more subtle architectural gem is the city hall/library, situated just east of the Adam Winter Building on Main Street. This is a one-story building (c. 1900) of concrete block in imitation of...

  11. Arrowhead and Iron Range
    (pp. 181-212)

    The town of Aitkin was established in 1870 by the Northern Pacific Railroad. The Aitkin County Courthouse (designed by Toltz, King, and Day, 1929) at 209 2nd Street Northwest (Highway 210) is a flat, boxy brick building with classical Beaux Arts attributes which are defined by very flat stone elements. The community library (1911) at 121 2nd Street Northwest is also classical, but it is much more sculptural with its recessed entrance portico and columns. In the commercial section of town, on the northwest corner of 2nd Street Northwest and Minnesota Avenue Northwest, is a two-story brick store and office...

  12. Northwest
    (pp. 213-232)

    Ada‚ the Norman County seat, is situated on the Marsh River, twenty miles southeast of its confluence with the Red River. The town’s plan is almost a stereotype of many

    1 Norman County Courthouse, 1903 Meyer and Thori

    Southwest corner 3rd Avenue E and 1st Street E

    It is amazing how stylistically late are many of Minnesota’s courthouses. Here is a Richardsonian Romanesque Revival building, tower and all, which one might assume was built at least a decade earlier. This version of the Romanesque has all the expected elements: a corner pavilion, a central gabled wing, and a central tower....

  13. Minnesota River Valley
    (pp. 233-252)

    Arlington was platted in 1856, and when the Chicago and Northwest Railroad reached it in the 1870s the town was replatted. In the downtown area are several commercial buildings which should be noted. At 302 Main Street West is a two-story gable-roofed commercial block (probably a bank originally) which is now used for law offices (c. 1890). In style it is loosely Romanesque with an arched entrance and small arched windows on the side and a grand arched window, articulated by light-colored voussoirs. The second-floor windows pierce through the upper entablature in a highly sculptural manner. Across the street at...

  14. Southeast
    (pp. 253-334)

    This railroad village (platted in 1868) houses one of Purcell and Elmslie’s small Prairie banks. The former First National Bank (now a municipal liquor store) is located on the northeast corner of Main and 4th Streets. The building was commissioned in 1917, but because of the war it was not completed until 1920. The building has an air of dignity and repose and at the same time an everyday domestic quality. The interior design includes a tent ceiling, brick wainscoting, a tile floor, and even a fireplace in the main business area. A number of changes have been made in...

  15. Southwest
    (pp. 335-360)

    This agricultural community was platted in 1876 on the banks of Kanaranzi Creek.

    1 Slade Hotel, 1891

    Frank Thayer

    Northeast corner Main and 2nd Streets

    The openings on the ground level have arches of various sizes, and arches are used decoratively in the brick surfaces above. In style, a little Queen Anne, a little Romanesque.

    2 Commercial Block, 1891

    Northwest corner Main and 2nd Streets

    A square corner tower with a highpitched pyramided roof and false-fronted pediments draws attention to this twostory block.

    3 St. Adrian’s Catholic Church, 1900

    Northeast corner Main and 6th Streets

    A non-Richardsonian Romanesque Revival church...

  16. Photohistory
    (pp. 361-400)
  17. Glossary of Architectural Styles
    (pp. 401-426)
  18. Suggested Readings
    (pp. 427-432)
  19. General Index
    (pp. 433-469)