The concept of pay for performance for public school teachers is growing in popularity and use, and it has resurged to once again occupy a central role in education policy.Performance Incentives: Their Growing Impact on American K-12 Educationoffers the most up-to-date and complete analysis of this promising -yet still controversial -policy innovation.
Performance Incentivesbrings together an interdisciplinary team of experts, providing an unprecedented discussion and analysis of the pay-for-performance debate by
• Identifying the potential strengths and weaknesses of tying pay to student outcomes;
• Comparing different strategies for measuring teacher accomplishments;
• Addressing key conceptual and implemen - tation issues;
• Describing what teachers themselves think of merit pay;
• Examining recent examples in Arkansas, Florida, North Carolina, and Texas;
• Studying the overall impact on student achievement.