The University of Kentucky

The University of Kentucky: A Pictorial History

Carl B. Cone
Copyright Date: 1989
Pages: 254
https://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt130hqh1
  • Cite this Item
  • Book Info
    The University of Kentucky
    Book Description:

    When the University of Kentucky was begun in 1865, it was merely an adjunct of a denominational college in Lexington. From that humble beginning has come a proud institution with an enrollment of 56,000 and with students, faculty, and facilities spread across a landscape extending to the boundaries of the Commonwealth. The University's graduates now include Nobel laureates, statesmen, and thousands of productive citizens whose influence reaches to the far corners of the world.

    In words and pictures, this book tells the story of the University's beginnings, its struggles for adequate funding, its joys and losses, its triumphs and accomplishments. Carl Cone has assembled from University archives and private collections a visual panorama depicting the growth and diversity of a great institution's first century and a quarter.

    Here are the University's founding fathers alongside its presidents, faculty members, student leaders, coaches, and athletes. Here too are the dorm rooms, classrooms, laboratories, gymnasiums, and athletic fields in which thousands have worked and played on their way to the degree that marks them as University of Kentucky alumni.

    In the years since 1865, Kentucky's "flagship university" has moved far toward reaching the vision of greatness held out by its founder. "We want," said John Bowman, "everything which will make this institution eventually equal to any on this continent. Why should we not have them? I think we can." Today, the University continues to strive to match its founder's vision. Here is the story of that quest.

    eISBN: 978-0-8131-5754-2
    Subjects: Education

Table of Contents

  1. Front Matter
    (pp. i-iv)
  2. Table of Contents
    (pp. v-v)
  3. PHOTO CREDITS
    (pp. vi-vi)
  4. Preface
    (pp. vii-viii)
  5. Chapter 1 The Agricultural and Mechanical College, 1865-1878
    (pp. 1-10)

    The University of Kentucky began humbly as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of the newly formed Kentucky University, a denominational institution that was heir to the diminished glories of Transylvania University.

    The A&M College had a special status within Kentucky University. Created by a legislative act of February 22, 1865, it enabled the state of Kentucky to benefit from the federal Morrill Act of 1862, whereby states were entitled to grants of public lands or the equivalent in “land scrip”—330,000 acres in Kentucky’s case. The sale of either would provide an endowment fund for the operation of schools, which...

  6. Chapter 2 State College, 1878-1908
    (pp. 11-48)

    After its separation from Kentucky University, the A&M College continued at the Ashland-Woodlands site, waiting for the legislature to determine its future. It functioned much as before, the cheering difference being that during the first year of independence, enrollment increased by 50 percent, and observers thought they could detect a lift of morale and spirits among the students and faculty.

    In response to the legislative commission’s request for offers, only Lexington and Bowling Green tendered serious bids for the college. Lexington took nothing for granted even though the school had been there for thirteen years. President Patterson appeared before the...

  7. Chapter 3 State University, 1908-1916
    (pp. 49-70)

    In converting a college into a university, the president and trustees acted promptly on some matters and hesitantly, when at all, on others.

    They formed three engineering colleges—civil, mechanical and electrical, and mining—thus evading the delicate personnel decisions that would have been involved in creating a comprehensive engineering college.

    The department of agriculture became a college which in 1910 was unified with the Experiment Station, then under Melville Amasa Scovell; he thus became dean of the College of Agriculture as well as director of the station. (When the federal Smith-Lever Act of 1914 provided subsidies for the Agricultural...

  8. Chapter 4 The University of Kentucky, 1916-1956
    (pp. 71-138)

    The transition from State University to University of Kentucky lasted a year and a half. It began on March 15, 1916, when the legislature bestowed the new name, continued through the unsettling events of the next fifteen months, and ended on August 15, 1917, when the Board of Trustees unanimously approved the appointment of Frank LeRond McVey. The new president took office on September 14.

    McVey’s credentials met in every respect the criteria the investigating committee had specified. Moreover, he possessed the personal and physical attributes of an ideal university president of that time—tall and distinguished in appearance, friendly...

  9. Chapter 5 The University of Kentucky, 1956-1989
    (pp. 139-239)

    From the list presented in June 1956 by the joint faculty-board search committee, the trustees selected as the university’s fifth president Frank G. Dickey, dean of the College of Education. Since the appointment came before Donovan left office, the two men cooperated in the crucial appointment of William R. Willard of Syracuse University as vice-president of the Medical Center.

    Dickey became president at the age of thirty-nine, the second youngest (after James K. Patterson) in the university’s history. A graduate of Transylvania, he received his doctorate in education in 1947, joined the UK faculty at once, and within two years...

  10. Index
    (pp. 240-248)