Classical Sculpture

Classical Sculpture: Catalogue of the Cypriot, Greek, and Roman Stone Sculpture in the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology

IRENE BALD ROMANO
Copyright Date: 2006
Pages: 332
https://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt3fhdw1
  • Cite this Item
  • Book Info
    Classical Sculpture
    Book Description:

    This first complete published catalogue of one of the most important classical sculpture collections in the United States includes 154 works from Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Asia Minor, North Africa, Roman Syria and Palestine, Egypt, and Babylonia, ranging in date from the late seventh century B.C. to the fourth century A.D.

    Each piece receives a complete description with measurements and report of condition, a list of the previous published sources, and a commentary reflecting the most recent scholarship, along with extensive photographic documentation. Various audiences will appreciate the accessibility of the scholarship presented here-students may engage in further study on some of topics raised by individual pieces or groups of sculptures, and the scholarly community will welcome a work that provides an up-to-date and comprehensive examination of a significant classical sculpture collection in one of the world's great archaeology museums.

    eISBN: 978-1-934536-29-2
    Subjects: Archaeology, Art & Art History

Table of Contents

  1. Front Matter
    (pp. i-iv)
  2. Table of Contents
    (pp. v-v)
  3. Illustrations and Illustrations on CD
    (pp. vi-vii)
  4. Preface
    (pp. viii-xii)
  5. Acknowledgments
    (pp. xii-xii)
  6. CATALOGUE

    • Cypriot Sculpture (1–16)
      (pp. 1-19)

      In the early 1890s the UPM purchased 204 Cypriot artifacts from the German antiquarian, Max Ohnefalsch-Richter (1850–917). Ohnefalsch-Richter began his career in Cyprus as a journalist, but quickly became entranced with the rich archaeological world of the island and stayed for 12 years (1878 to 1890), conducting explorations at sites such as Salamis, Soloi, Idalion, Tamassos, Kourion, Ayia Paraskevi, Amathus, and Marion (described in Ohnefalsch-Richter 1893:1–28). Although these were legal and careful excavations within the limited control of archaeological sites of those days, they were by no means scientific by today’s standards. By agreement with the excavation sponsors, Ohnefalsch-Richter...

    • Greek Sculpture (17–43)
      (pp. 20-72)

      CONDITION: Broken across neck and above the foot, preserving the body of the vessel. Major chips missing from the lower neck. Surface scratches and nicks, especially on the head of the bearded male and lower bodies of bearded male and female. Surface worn, especially on the younger female.

      DESCRIPTION: Funeraryloutrophoros-hydriawith a long ovoid form and a handle behind the neck ending at the back in a rolled bolster. On the right and left sides of the vessel above the inscription are two holes with the remnants of the rivets for attaching horizontal handles.

      On the front is sculptural...

    • Sculpture from the Sanctuary of Diana Nemorensis, Lake Nemi (44–82)
      (pp. 73-161)

      The corpus of 39 stone sculptures from the Sanctuary of Diana Nemorensis on Lake Nemi, Italy, in the University of Pennsylvania Museum comprises the largest and most significant sculptural collection in the Mediterranean Section. Purchased by the UPM in 1896 from dealers in Italy through Arthur Frothingham and with funds from Lucy Wharton Drexel (see below, pp. 75–77;Guide to the Etruscan and Roman Worlds2002:1–4; Guldager Bilde 1998:36 for discussions of the roles of Frothingham and Drexel in the acquisition of this collection), this was among the first major classical collections to be acquired by the newly...

    • Sculpture from Colonia Minturnae (83–90)
      (pp. 162-184)

      The eight marble heads from Colonia Minturnae constitute the only major collection of stone sculpture in the Mediterranean Section which was systematically excavated by the University of Pennsylvania Museum. Colonia Minturnae was excavated in three campaigns from 1931 to 1933 by the UPM (in cooperation with the Associazione Internazionale di Studi Mediterranei) under the direction of Jotham Johnson (1905–1967), who received his Ph.D. (1931) from the University of Pennsylvania (MinturnaeI 1935;MinturnaeII 1933). The eight sculptures in the UPM represent a small fraction of the more than 100 pieces of sculpture uncovered by Johnson, all of which...

    • Sculpture from Teanum Sidicinum (91–92)
      (pp. 185-188)

      Teanum Sidicinum was an important and large ancient town located in a strategic position at the northern border of Campania on the Via Latina (Strabo 5.3.9). Originally the capital of an Oscan tribe of the Sidicini, the town came under Roman control in 334 BC and became a Roman colony in the 1st c. AD (Johannowsky 1976:888). The 4th c. BC orthogonal layout of the town has recently been confirmed by a geophysical survey by the British School at Rome (Strutt and Johnson 2002; Johnson, Baldwin, and Strutt 2003). On the banks of the river Savone there is an important...

    • Sculpture from Nysa Scythopolis (93–101)
      (pp. 189-202)

      Beth Shean/Beisan in ancient Palestine, known as Nysa Scythopolis or Scythopolis in the Hellenistic and Roman periods, is a city on the southern bank of the river Nah. al H. arod (Jalûd), 25 miles south of the Sea of Galilee, at the junction of two important ancient routes (see Negev 1976 and Mazar, Foerster, and Tzori 1993:214–35 for summaries of the site’s history and archaeology) (see Fig. 8). The site was occupied almost continuously from the Late Neolithic to the Early Arab periods, with times of great prosperity, especially in the Late Bronze Age and Roman period. The large...

    • Other Roman Sculpture (102–124)
      (pp. 203-270)

      CONDITION: Well preserved from the top of the head to the bottom of the neck which is prepared for setting into a statue. Crown of head broken off. Large fragments missing from the chignon and lock above forehead on left side. Smaller fragments missing from right ear and nose. Chips on left ear, right eyebrow. Surface scratch across right cheek seems more recent, although noted in Hall (1914:28); left cheek worn and abraded. Other signs of wear and abrasion.

      DESCRIPTION: Lifesized portrait bust of an unknown middle-aged woman turned slightly to her right. Her hair is parted in the center...

    • Uncertain Works or Forgeries (125–129)
      (pp. 271-279)

      CONDITION: Complete. Missing left index finger and end of attribute in left hand. Section of left top of head is repaired (not an ancient repair). Nose is chipped. Head broken off at the base of the neck in 1967 and reattached to body with a dowel in 1978. Conservation reports in 1978 indicate that there was evidence that the head had been previously attached at the neck with adhesives and plaster. The joining surfaces of the bottom of the neck and upper body seem to be worked smooth and there is no ancient dowel. The surface of the body in...

    • Palmyrene and Graeco-Parthian Sculpture (130–154)
      (pp. 280-311)

      Decorative limestone sculptures depicting men and highly adorned women of a wealthy merchant class from the caravan city of Palmyra in northern Syria have held the interest of western collectors since the 19th century, and many examples are scattered in many museum collections throughout Europe and the United States. The majority of these sculptures are funerary reliefs that were removed from the tower tombs and subterranean burial complexes of Palmyra (Fig. 12).

      Palmyrene sculptures were among the earliest acquisitions of the Near Eastern Section of the UPM. Fifteen sculptures were catalogued by the Museum on January 26, 1909 (130–137,...

  7. Bibliography
    (pp. 312-324)
  8. Concordance
    (pp. 325-325)
  9. Index
    (pp. 326-331)
  10. Back Matter
    (pp. 332-332)
  11. [Illustrations]
    (pp. None)