The Thousand and One Churches

The Thousand and One Churches

William M. Ramsay
Gertrude L. Bell
Robert G. Ousterhout
Mark P.C. Jackson
Copyright Date: 1909
Pages: 618
https://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt3fj04f
  • Cite this Item
  • Book Info
    The Thousand and One Churches
    Book Description:

    Published in 1909 and long out of print, The Thousand and One Churches remains a seminal study of the postclassical monuments of Anatolia. Now a new generation of readers can learn of the extensive remains of the sprawling early Christian site known as Binbirkilise ("Thousand and One Churches," near Konya), excavated by Ramsay and Bell in 1907. The book provides extensive analysis of other early Christian and Byzantine sites across Anatolia that Bell visited at that time. Because many of the monuments have long since disappeared, this documentation is now invaluable, and Bell's extensive photographs provide a unique view of travel and archaeology more than a century ago. For this new edition more than 250 high-quality digitized images from the Gertrude Bell Archive at Newcastle University (UK) replace the original illustrations, and the editors' Foreword lays out the historical and cultural context for the undertaking. Ousterhout and Jackson recount the lives and careers of the two authors and the tale of their collaboration on the excavation and subsequent book. Publication was supported by a grant from the Joukowsky Family Foundation.

    eISBN: 978-1-934536-30-8
    Subjects: Archaeology

Table of Contents

  1. Front Matter
    (pp. i-iv)
  2. Table of Contents
    (pp. v-vii)
  3. EDITORS’ FOREWORD
    (pp. ix-xxviii)
    Robert G. Ousterhout and Mark P. C. Jackson

    The 1909 publication of The Thousand and One Churches brought together two of the most remarkable figures of the early 20th century, the unlikely couple of Sir William M. Ramsay and Miss Gertrude Bell. Professor Ramsay, a scholar who uniquely combined the study of Classical archaeology and the New Testament, was then the foremost authority on the topography, antiquities, and history of Asia Minor. He held professorships at Oxford and Aberdeen, traveled, lectured, and published widely, and was showered with academic honors. Miss Bell, by contrast, was something of an upstart, known outside aristocratic circles in 1909 as an eccentric...

  4. PREFACE
    (pp. xxix-xxxiv)
    W. M. RAMSAY
  5. PART I SITUATION AND HISTORY
    (pp. 3-38)

    Fifty to sixty miles south-east of Iconium (which ‘under the name Konia is still the capital of a great Province, with a railway station) there rises from the level Lycaonian plain an island of volcanic mountains, oval in outline, with the longer axis nearly north and south, called Kara Dagh (Black Mountain). The plain around is approximately 3,300 feet above sea level: Mahaletch, the highest peak of the Kara Dagh, rises to a height of nearly 7,000 feet.¹ The mountain contains two parts, each with a great crater. Bash Dagh is the highest point of the southern part, and seems...

  6. PART II THE BUILDINGS
    (pp. 41-294)

    No. 1 is the largest church in the Kara Dagh (Fig. 2). It is a true basilica, the nave being raised above the aisles and lighted by round-headed windows pierced in the upper walls, five on either side (Fig. 3).

    The narthex is entered by a double arched doorway, the arches being supported by a central double column. These arches are not horse-shoed. ˙The outer ends spring from a moulding built into the wall in imitation of the capital of an engaged column, a practice universal in Central Anatolia (Fig. 4). A string-course runs across the width of the façade...

  7. PART III ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE
    (pp. 297-501)

    One of the most remarkable experiences of travel is that which assails him who passes from the seaboard of Asia Minor and gains the central plateau. He leaves behind him a smiling country full of the sound of waters, with fertile valleys, hills clad in secular forests, coasts that the Greek made his own, setting them with cities, crowning them with temples, charging the very atmosphere with the restless activity of his temper : the defile opens through high Taurus, the Tchardak Pass, that famous path of armies, broadens and flattens towards Dineir, the fruit gardens dwindle and disappear as...

  8. PART IV OTHER MONUMENTS OF THE KARA DAGH
    (pp. 505-570)

    1. The church on the summit of the Kara Dagh (p. 241) seems to have been built on the site of an old Hittite High Place which was almost totally destroyed or covered up. The only remnant of the old High Place is found on the N. side about 20 or 30 feet below the summit, where a narrow passage running E. to W. between rocks bears two inscriptions, one on each side, in the Hittite hieroglyphics. This passage was partly, if not wholly, lined with Byzantine masonry, which was perhaps intended to conceal the evidence of heathen worship and...

  9. INDEX
    (pp. 571-580)