The Churches and Chapels of Wales

The Churches and Chapels of Wales

JONATHAN M. WOODING
NIGEL YATES
Copyright Date: 2011
Edition: 1
https://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt9qhddc
  • Cite this Item
  • Book Info
    The Churches and Chapels of Wales
    Book Description:

    This book provides a comprehensive guide to the most important church and chapel buildings in Wales from the early Middle Ages to the present day.

    eISBN: 978-0-7083-2414-1
    Subjects: Architecture and Architectural History

Table of Contents

  1. Front Matter
    (pp. i-iv)
  2. Table of Contents
    (pp. v-v)
  3. List of Illustrations
    (pp. vi-vii)
  4. Notes on Contributors
    (pp. viii-ix)
  5. Guide to Entries
    (pp. x-xii)
  6. Introduction
    (pp. 1-17)
    Jonathan Wooding

    The first Christians in Wales arrived during the period of Roman rule in Britain (AD 43–c.406). Wales was then a remote part of the – itself remote – Roman province of Britannia. Christianity would most likely have first arrived in Britain as the private faith of mobile individuals. We imagine that such early believers tended to congregate in towns more than in the countryside, though some country villas in England have been found to contain Christian mosaics and artefacts. This was not a world of public churches; worship was mostly outside the public gaze, in private houses and rooms, sometimes practised...

  7. 1 Churches and Chapels in Mid Wales
    (pp. 18-53)

    Cistercian abbey in this remote valley, founded in 1143, which had the largest church in Wales, now almost completely destroyed. The old estate of the Fowlers passed in the mid-nineteenth century to the Phillips family of Manchester, and it was Miss Phillips who paid for the new church built in 1866–7. The architects were John Wilkes Poundley, surveyor of Montgomeryshire, and DavidWalker of Birkenhead. It has all the character one would expect from them. It is of knobbly brownish stone, in Early French Gothic style. The porch is within a tower which turns broached, and then into an octagonal...

  8. 2 Churches and Chapels in North-East Wales
    (pp. 54-74)

    This church was built in 1872–4 by Lord and Lady Hanmer of Bettisfield Park. Their architect was G. E. Street, and the result is a fine example of his mature work, in Early Decorated Gothic style. It is not large, but the square tower, with its elegant octagonal spire, and the skilful massing give it great character. Inside, the north chapel and tower on the other side are treated as transepts to the nave, which provides spatial interest. Original furnishings include the Caen stone reredos, with beautiful Minton tiles on either side, and the stained glass of east and...

  9. 3 Churches and Chapels in North-West Wales
    (pp. 75-114)

    The medieval church was abandoned in 1841 when a new building to replace it was erected in the upper part of the village. This is an Italian Romanesque design with twin west towers which retains its original furnishings intact and is maintained by the community council but with unfortunately very limited access to its splendid interior. After its abandonment St Hywyn’s was used for twenty years as the premises of the village school which had been established in 1835. During the 1860s the decision was taken to abandon the new church and to return to St Hywyn’s, which had been...

  10. 4 Churches and Chapels in South Wales
    (pp. 115-146)

    St Catharine’s is the most satisfying Victorian church in south Wales, clear and invigorating in design, exquisitely constructed, and containing a full set of contemporary fittings. Only the site disappoints, crowded in by later housing on all sides.

    The church was built at the expense of Griffith Llewellyn of Baglan Hall, wealthy as both landowner and industrialist, in 1875–82. As architect, Llewellyn chose his cousin, John Prichard, who had recently brought his great rebuilding of Llandaff Cathedral to a successful conclusion.

    The plan is cruciform, the walls on a strongly sloping base. An octagonal crossing tower closely clasped by quatrefoil...

  11. 5 Churches and Chapels in South-East Wales
    (pp. 147-164)

    This important former priory church was founded in 1087. Although it was heavily restored and partially rebuilt in a series of restorations between 1881 and 1896, the church preserves many medieval and later furnishings. Chief among these are the handsome twelfth-century font, the magnificent set of fourteenth-century choir stalls, those for the former prior and sub-prior having tall carved canopies and the others with carved and latticed backs, and the remarkable wooden figure of Jesse which formed the back of a medieval reredos. There are also some highquality modern furnishings. These include the First World War memorial by W. D....

  12. picture section
    (pp. None)
  13. 6 Churches and Chapels in South-West Wales
    (pp. 165-192)

    Henry James Bath, of Alltyferin, was wealthy from shipping and copper in the Swansea Valley, and he paid for this delightful little church, begun in 1865. It was not completed until 1878, three years after his death. It was intended to provide English services, as the parish church at Llanegwad had only Welsh ones. The architect was Benjamin Bucknall, best known for Woodchester Park in Gloucestershire. It was his last building before he retired to Algiers. Externally, the church is quite simple, of sandstone with Bath dressings. The windows are round headed except for the plate-traceried east one. The wood...

  14. Guide to Further Reading
    (pp. 193-194)
  15. Glossary
    (pp. 195-205)
  16. List of Churches and Chapels
    (pp. 206-213)
  17. Index
    (pp. 214-228)