This final section is dedicated to Gabon’s development prospects in approaching the post-oil era. Its five subsections will sequentially provide tentative answers to five big questions:
1. How rapidly are oil revenues likely to decline?
2. To what extent can other rent sources take over the role of oil?
3. To what extent can value-added production sectors compensate for the oil decline?
4. What will happen to forests under the most likely of these development scenarios?
5. How should environmentally conscious development policies respond to the challenges?
Because of Gabon’s maturity as an oil country, it is statistically highly improbable that sizeable new fields should...