1. Many people make a living through the small-scale furniture industry.
2. A furniture industry that is culturally rooted stands a better chance of survival.
3. Jepara is a world carving and learning centre with unique culture, history and unlimited potential for creativity.
4. Action research in which understanding and changing behaviour occur at the same time is needed to improve small-scale producers’ place in the industry.
5. Good governance within the value chain will provide better bargaining power, market access and wood access for small-scale producers.
6. Government intervention is needed to improve small-scale producers.
7. Four promising scenarios could help improve the situation for small-scale...