Six topics emerged as significant in our investigation of forests and medicinal plants:
1. medicinal plants and animals from the forest;
2. local knowledge about forest medicines;
3. the role and costs of these medicines;
4. threats to the sustainability of traditional medicines;
5. health care providers in forests; and
6. financial benefits from forest medicines.
We devote a section to each and conclude in Section 4.7 with a discussion of some recurrent themes in this literature.
Forests are important repositories of medicinal compounds from wild organisms (Seters 1997; Bryant 2002), including some common foods and drinks. This role is the basis for many arguments for...