The panel discussion covered the following themes:
1. Opportunities for improving the diversification of African countries;
2. Resource-based industrialisation in SADC;
3. Opportunities and challenges for future SADC industrialisation; and
4. Lessons from Botswana’s challenges toward industrialisation.
1. The potential to industrialise the mining sector such that it is a consistent engine of economic growth and development is hampered by infrastructure underdevelopment; high political and economic risks for investors; and uncertain guarantees on security of tenure due to the insecure rule of law.
2. The re-focus on improving agriculture in the last five years enables countries to explore: new value-chain approaches to improve market access and...