The European Commission’s Digital Single Market strategy has laid the groundwork for ambitious changes in Europe’s cloud-computing landscape. Given the potential to add up to one million new digitally dependent jobs in the EU, the Commission should take further steps to accelerate cloud adoption, especially among small and medium-sized enterprises, including:
1. promoting policies that reinforce the global nature of the cloud;
2. enhancing the business-to-business (B2B) and business administration aspects of cloudcomputing adoption;
3. setting policies aimed at building operational and legal trust in Europe’s cloud environment;
4. incentivizing public sector procurement and e-governance as instruments to promote SME cloud adoption;
5. increasing awareness-raising...